Friday, February 24, 2012

2/24/2012 - 4 Weeks Since Cletus' Last Seizure!!

2/24/12 - Today marks 4 weeks since Cletus had his last seizure, or seizure cluster as the case was (3 seizures within 7 hours).  I still find myself on my tippy-toes every time I hear a weird noise or he is out of sight for more than 5 minutes.  I still find myself waking up with every odd creak of the house fearing that he is having another seizure. 

I know to expect more seizures, the doctors said that Cletus will always have seizures, but the thing is that they really don't know.  Cletus is the first of his kind that we know of. 

Someone was setting off fireworks the other night which in the past led to Cletus having a seizure and boy was I watching him close.  Cletus made it through fine.

The next night, we had a thunderstorm, another trigger for Cletus and seizures.  Again, Cletus made it through fine.

I think I am going to have a seizure from stressing out about Cletus before he has another one :) 

According to the Humane Society of the United States, there are 78.2 million dogs in the U.S. (http://www.humanesociety.org/). Some sites state that schizencephaly affect 1.54 per 100,000 people. According to rightdiagnosis.com, schizencephaly affects 1 in 2719 people or 0.04% of the population (http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/lists/preval.htm). The fact is that no one is sure how many people schizencephaly truly affects. If we assume these same statistics in dogs, it equates to somewhere between 1,150 and 31,280 dogs out there with schizencephaly in the U.S. alone.

Please help me to get the word out about Cletus and schizencephaly. Contact your local news organization about Cletus or have your local news organization contact me directly at dsilber27@hotmail.com

Thank you for your support,

Doug & Cletus

Puppy Cletus Pic... so many pounds ago

No comments: