Please help us by contacting Ellen through FB and tweet through the avenue below...
Submit your story to Ellen to potentially be on her show and have her help "change your life": http://ellen.warnerbros.com/
Tweet her: http://twitter.com/
As far as Cletus' doctors are aware of, Cletus has the only known reported case of open lipped schizencephaly in a canine. The key word here is reported. Most vets are not aware that schizencephaly exists or they are not aware that this condition is possible in an animal. Cletus is living proof of this possibility.
According to the Humane Society of the United States, there are 78.2 million dogs in the U.S. (http://www.humanesociety.org/). Some sites state that schizencephaly affect 1.54 per 100,000 people. According to rightdiagnosis.com, schizencephaly affects 1 in 2719 people or 0.04% of the population (http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/lists/preval.htm). The fact is that no one is sure how many people schizencephaly truly affects. If we assume these same statistics in dogs, it equates to somewhere between 1,150 and 31,280 dogs out there with schizencephaly in the U.S. alone.
Please help me to get the word out about Cletus and schizencephaly. Contact your local news organization about Cletus or have your local news organization contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your support,
Doug & Cletus
- Phenobarbital - 200mg every 12 hours
- Potassium Bromide - 7.2mL every 24 hours
- Prednisone - 20mg every 12 hours for the next 14 days (8/11/12), if no seizures go down to 20mg every 24 hours for 2 weeks (8/25/12), if no seizures go down to 20mg every 48 hours.
- Omeprazole - 40mg eve...ry 24 hours (2 weeks on, 1 week off, continuous)
- Zonisamide - 700mg every 8 hours for 3 days (7/30/12), then 700mg every 12 hours
- Levetiracetam - 2000mg every 8 hours for 5 days after seizure or when likely to have a seizure or stress
- Tramadol - 150mg - 200mg every 12 hours as needed for pain
- Diazepam - 10mg Tablets - 10mg - 20mg every 4 - 6 hours after seizure for 12 - 24 hours
- Diazepam - 8mL Liquid - To stop seizures lasting longer than 2 minutes, can repeat if seizure does not stop within 1 minute after first administration